CONFESSING CHRIST

“Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven” (Matthew 10:32-33).

The Greek word for confess in this passage means covenant, assent or agreement. Jesus is speaking of an agreement we have with him. Our part is to confess him, or represent him, in our daily lives. We are to live by his promises of protection and personal care for us. And we are to testify of his marvelous blessings by how we live.

Confessing Christ means more than believing in his divinity. It’s about more than stating he’s the Son of God, crucified, buried, resurrected and seated at the father’s right hand. The Bible says even demons believe this, and tremble at the knowledge. So, what does Jesus mean when he says we are to confess him before men?

“Whosoever therefore shall confess me…” (10:32, italics mine). By using the word therefore, Jesus is saying, in essence, “In light of what I’ve just said…,” or, “Because of what I’ve just told you…” What had Christ just told his listeners? He had said, “Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? And one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father” (10:29). Jesus was telling them, “Think of the millions of birds throughout the earth. Now think of all the birds that have existed since Creation. To this day, not one bird has died or been snared without your heavenly Father knowing it.

Then he pointed out, “But the very hairs of your head are all numbered” (10:30). Christ was emphasizing, “God is so great, he’s beyond your ability to comprehend. You’ll never be able to grasp how detailed his care for you is.”

Jesus concluded by saying, “Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows” 10:31). He sums everything up by saying, “Whoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven” (10:32). He is saying, “Think about what I’ve just revealed to you about the Father’s all-seeing, all-knowing care. You’re to confess this truth to the whole world. You’re to live, breathe and testify, ‘God cares for me.’”

Believe in the Father’s love for you and accept his intimate care for you. And lay down all your fears and doubts. Live before men with the faith that God hasn’t overlooked you. Confess to everyone, “His eye is on the sparrow, and I know he watches over me.”