DISCOURAGEMENT

When we hurt, when we are lonely, afraid, and overwhelmed by circumstances beyond our control—we quickly turn aside from our true source of peace and victory and look to human ways and resources. How tragic! We know God is still on the throne waiting for us to call on him. We know the answer to all our needs is to be found alone with God, shut in with him. We will even confess to our spiritual friends, "I know I need to pray! I know God has the answer! I know I need to cry it all out in his presence!

It is discouragement of the worst kind to give in to fear and despair while ignoring the majesty and faithfulness of a loving Father. God said to Israel, "...I have talked with you from heaven…in all places where I record my name I will come unto thee, and I will bless thee" (Exodus 20:22.24). But Israel answered, "God hath forgotten to be merciful” (Psalm 10:11). "But Zion said, The Lord hath forsaken me, and my Lord hath forgotten me" (Isaiah 49:14).

Are you a discouraged Christian? You are if you ignore the Lord's majestic promises and doubt that he means what he says! He promised, "Can a woman forget her suckling child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? Yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee. Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me" (Isaiah 49:15-16).

You will be downcast if you go on carrying unnecessary burdens of guilt, fear, loneliness, anxiety, and turmoil simply because you refuse to rest on the Lord's great and precious promises.

God is not mocking his children when he promises, "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose" (Romans 8:28).

God is not lying when he promises, "The eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous, and his ears are open unto their cry…. The righteous cry, and the Lord heareth, and delivereth them out of all their troubles" (Psalm 34:15 and 17).

Let’s not become impatient and act according to our feelings. When we get into trouble and cry out to God for mercy and help, all heaven goes into motion on our behalf. Should the Lord let us see into the spiritual world to behold the good things he is preparing for those who call on him and trust him, it would be an incredible sight for our eyes.