FOCUS ON HELPING OTHERS

We should not have to travel past our own neighborhood to have the greatest kind of revival imaginable. God says that if we will deal our bread to the hungry, bring the poor into our house, cover the naked, and give of our own soul to the starving and suffering, He will guide us and provide for us continually. We will be like a well-watered garden — a spring whose waters never fail (see Isaiah 58:10-11).

God is telling us, "Focus on helping others! Reach out to the poor and hurting, and I will answer you, guide you, and satisfy you. You will be a spring of life to others and your blessings will never fail."

If you are not comfortable with this Old Testament teaching, listen to what Jesus said in the New Testament:

"For I was an hungered, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungered, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal" (Matthew 25:42-46).

"Whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?" (1 John 3:17).

At this point you may be saying, "I'd like to be compassionate, to help the needy. How can I make a change?"

I can only tell you that God will answer this prayer: "Lord, I see all the human need around me. I know that the only Jesus my city may ever see is the one they will see through me and my church. God, You are going to have to direct me. I'm ready with my wallet, my house, my time, so show me where to go, Lord." Rest assured that God will bring those needs to your doorstep.