I WILL STRENGTHEN THEE

I want to talk about bondage to sin — that is, your battle with the flesh. Under the New Covenant, God will allow situations to show you how wholly dependent you are on Him to deliver you through faith.

God will never lead you into temptation but He will allow you to come to your wits' end. If you have a besetting sin, Satan will come against you continually with his lies: "You’re too weak! You're never going to make it."

You hear the rattling of chains as Satan tries to bind you to your habit once more and you wonder, "Lord, how will I ever get up from this? I've gone down so low!"

What can you do? You know you can't outrun the enemy and you are no match for him in a fight, so you cower before him, trembling in fear.

You may say to yourself, "I'll just go back to my old ways. At least I'll be spared from all this spiritual warfare. It's too much for me!" But you know you can't go back to your old master. If you turn back now and desert Christ, it will cost you your life.

Many Christians become caught in the hellish cycle of sinning and confessing, sinning and confessing. They run to friends, counselors, anyone who will listen to them as they cry and pray. Such believers will do everything except stand still and trust the Lord to bring their deliverance.

The Old Testament gives us example after example of how we have no power in our flesh to fight spiritual battles. Our old man is utterly weak and powerless but we have a new man inside us. This new man understands there is no human way out, that God has to do all the fighting. We resist the devil not in our strength, but by the power of the Holy Spirit, which is revealed in us by faith alone.

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God; I will strengthen thee” (Isaiah 41:10).