STANDING STILL IS AN ACT OF FAITH

To stand still does not mean to be passive or to rest on fate. Fate says, "Whatever will be, will be." But faith changes everything. Standing still is an act of faith, an active resting on God's promises, a cessation of all questions, doubts and useless strivings.

Ever since I have been in the ministry, a major area of striving for me has been knowing the voice of God. I believe this struggle is common among Christians. We ask, "How can I know if the voice I hear is God's or my flesh?"

Whenever I face a critical need that requires an answer, I turn to the Lord in prayer. I cry out, "Father, Your Word says You speak to Your people. Please, God, speak to me. Give me Your direction!" And then I quote Scripture promises:
  • "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me" (John 10:27). 
  • "Thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it" (Isaiah 30:21). 
  • "[My] word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart" (Deuteronomy 30:14). 
Indeed, a still, small voice often comes to us and as God begins to speak, we suddenly have a great sense of peace and calm. The voice is comforting, soothing, and we leave our prayer closet feeling wonderful. But sometimes the word we hear in prayer does not come to pass and we realize we have heard another voice — not Christ's. In such a case, it was either the voice of our own desires and ambition or the voice of our flesh.

Paul says, "There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification" (1 Corinthians 14:10). There are many voices, including a voice of the flesh, a voice of the will, a voice of ambition — and they all scream for our attention.

No matter how much we pray or how close we are to the Lord, we all are fallible and make mistakes. Our flesh still has a voice and at times it will get in the way.

Let me tell you how God brought me through this test of faith. I am convinced God prearranges and sets up all my circumstances. He has promised, by covenant, to lead me and guide me by His Spirit and to keep me from falling. So, now I pray in faith, believing His word to me and I stand still and wait for Him to act.