WHOM DO WE BELIEVE?

A sincere Christian man asked me the following question: “Whom do we believe? Over the years I’ve read the works of many ministers who were convinced the end was near. Yet over and over they’ve missed it. I realize now that some were just trying to sell their book. But others truly thought God was telling them the end was upon us. So, whom do we believe?”

At times I have been utterly broken before God about these things, crying out to Him at the top of my voice: “Oh, Lord, I’ve been preaching for years that judgment is at the door. I’ve been writing books and delivering warnings about a coming economic crisis and yet I only see the opposite happening. I see America prospering and going merrily along its path. Our nation is killing over five thousand babies a week. We’re sliding down into pits of unbelievable filth and pushing you out of every institution. How long, Lord?”

I feel I’m uttering the same cry of frustration that Jeremiah raised to God. He spent years faithfully prophesying events that had not yet been fulfilled. He cried out, “O Lord, thou hast deceived me, and I was deceived: thou art stronger than I, and hast prevailed: I am in derision daily, every one mocketh me. For since I spake, I cried out, I cried violence and spoil; because the word of the Lord was made a reproach unto me, and a derision, daily” (Jeremiah 20:7-8).

Jeremiah could not stop warning God’s people. Even though his prophecies seemed to be unfounded, he kept prophesying. I feel the same fire burning in my soul that Jeremiah felt. And I am more convinced than ever that our nation is about to be cast into a devastating depression. No matter how high the stock market may swing, no matter how incredibly it might rebound, America is still on the brink of a mighty crash. God has “set His face” against this nation for its bloodshed and arrogance against His name, and His judgment is due!

Yet I thank God for the many promises He has given us in His Word to protect and bless His people in and through all storms.

God’s praying people do not need to fear. Nor should we worry or fret. Our heavenly Father has everything under control. Although I see His judgments coming on our nation, I rejoice because I know what our Lord has promised in His Word.
“He shall judge the world in righteousness, he shall minister judgment to the people in uprightness. The Lord also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble. And they that know thy name will put their trust in thee: for thou, Lord, hast not forsaken them that seek thee” (Psalm 9:8-10).