LORD, HEAR MY VOICE

“Out of the depths have I cried unto thee, O Lord. Lord, hear my voice: let thine ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications. If thou, Lord, shouldest mark iniquities, O Lord, who shall stand? But there is forgiveness with thee, that thou mayest be feared” (Psalm 130:1-4).

David anguished over the scandal he had caused in Israel. His sin had been exposed, and the whole world knew about it. His grief over the shame he had caused was so overwhelming, he begged God, “Make me not the reproach of the foolish” (Psalm 39:8).

I know a number of Christians who are just like David. They are lovers of Jesus, yet they have sinned horribly against the light they have been given. They have heard many righteous sermons, read the Bible daily for years, spent countless hours in prayer. Yet they have sinned against all of God’s blessings. How? Because they have a besetting sin they have never dealt with!

Over time, their sin has shut off their communion with Jesus and now the Holy Spirit has fingered their habit, holding it up before them. He is warning them, “No more—this sin must go! I won’t wink at the way you keep indulging it. From now on, you’re under a deadline. I’ve exposed your sin to you but soon it may be exposed to the world!”

Whenever they enter God’s house now, they cannot even lift their heads. And they cry as David did, “My sins are too numerous to count! My iniquity has so taken hold of me, I can’t even lift my face to heaven!”

They have lost all the joy, cheer and freedom they once enjoyed. They are not able to pray or sing with any life or power. And they carry around a great sense of failure. They have become weak, soul-sick, bowed down, ready to faint. And they know it is all because their sin has cut off their communion with God!


Does this describe your soul’s condition at the moment? If so, thank God for His mercy. He is implanting in you a holy fear of the Lord!