DOES GOD STILL SPEAK?

Samuel heard God’s voice clearly, so clear that “the Lord . . . let none of his words fall to the ground” (1 Samuel 3:19). “For the Lord revealed himself to Samuel in Shiloh by the word of the Lord. And the word of Samuel came to all Israel” (1 Samuel 3:21-4:1). David heard God speak and he, in turn, spoke with God! God's voice was his joy and life. David said, “God hath spoken in his holiness; I will rejoice” (Psalm 60:6).

Many today do not believe that God still talks to men. They say He speaks only through His Word, that all He ever wants or needs to say is locked up in the canon of the Scriptures. Certainly God will never speak a word contrary to Scripture, but “God . . . hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son” (Hebrews 1:1-2). And His Son is still talking to His children! He said His sheep know His voice and that another’s voice they will not heed. We know God spoke to men in the Old Testament. But what of the New Testament? What of the last days?

God spoke to Saul (Paul) on the road to Damascus: “Suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven: and he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?” (Acts 9:3-4). For the rest of his life, Paul testified, “I heard His voice.” Before King Agrippa he said, “I heard a voice speaking unto me, and saying in the Hebrew tongue . . . Rise . . . for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose” (Acts 26:14 and 16).

Peter heard and obeyed the voice of God. In prayer, he heard God speak: “And I heard a voice saying unto me, Arise, Peter; slay and eat. But I said, Not so, Lord. . . . But the voice answered me again from heaven. . . . And this was done three times” (Acts 11:7-10).

Jesus calls the last Laodicean church to hear His voice and open up: “Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me” (Revelation 3:20).